Thursday, June 13, 2013

Freshen Up.

I was back in my old stomping grounds over the weekend, staying with the dearest Al and Ella, buzzing around with Eliza (who is getting married!), doing a bridal shower for her, seeing some of my besties.
A good weekend.
A busy weekend.
Full of those I love, doing things I love to do.

Which is why it’s always so curious to me when I find myself in these types of situations I still sometimes feel the need to take a breather.
And it’s not as if it’s because I was with these people. Not at all. It’s when I am with any people—and I don’t care how much I love them.

When I got there the first night we were going to head out to dinner, but before we did I felt the need to “freshen up” a bit. You know—powder my nose, re-do my hair. I had to make myself more presentable to not only the world, but to myself (how ridiculous I must be).
But see, here is what I know about me: if my hair is all out of whack, I am all out of whack because all I can think about is my whacked out hair. So things like this just need to be hair-sprayed immediately and forgotten about. That’s my motto.

I should not be surprised then when I find that my spirit needs to be “freshened up” a bit on weekends like this. Just like my hair and how I have no idea where the loose ends come from, sometimes I feel like my soul has a couple wrinkles that need to get ironed out. And I can’t think of anything else until they do.
Do you know what I am talking about? When out of nowhere you are like, “Oh my gosh, why am I not patient right now?” or “Goodness sakes, this shouldn’t be making me anxious!” and it all just needs to be righted. Your soul needs a bit of a breather. Not a total makeover, not a re-do, it simply needs to be freshened up; the loose ends need to be brought in.

For me, I have found, it doesn’t take much. 5 minutes maybe. A few words from Scripture to bring me back to center, a prayer with my eyes closed to remind me who is in charge and who has got it all under control.

“Your word, Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens. Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures. Your laws endure to this day, for all things serve you.  If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life. Save me, for I am yours; I have sought out your precepts.” Psalm 119:89-94

Don’t get me wrong, there are definitely times when my heart needs a whole makeover. And let’s be honest, sometimes I need one like 4 days a week. But in those situations like what I described, full of all kinds of comings and goings, don’t forget to bring Jesus into your rush. He is the only cure for a hurried heart, an anxious spirit, and a harried day; the only way to freshen up your soul.

~~~
Ella's gardens.

Love my friends :)
The Pirate Queen.
I felt REALLY royal drinking out of this.
All the pretty horses on my bike ride tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment