Monday, August 5, 2013

House Days ~ a guest post from a wolfie

As our B is off on quite another adventure…she has given me the honor of posting some thoughts here. So, here there are. Thoughts from a wolfie named B ----


And here's a picture of us - because it's cute.

Houses have been on the mind of late. Well…maybe I should say more frequently of late. Because, who am I kidding? Houses have almost always been on the mind. I clearly remember as a 9-year old child when my parents were planning an addition to our house, I sat through every meeting they had with the architect. I loved poring over the floor plan idea books/magazines mom brought home, imagining myself in each house. I spent hours that way.

Well, 18 years have passed since then. And some things never change: I still love houses.

Over the last 3 years, I’ve had the opportunity to live in a lot of different places. And when I say a lot, I mean…a lot. On average, I have found myself in a new place every 6 months or so in these three years. And when I say “place,” that’s because no other word seems quite appropriate. Even “building” does not quite fit, for that would exclude my months in the trailer and weeks in the bus.

Most recently I found myself looking for yet another dwelling place, as I have started a new job in a new city. I actually just moved in to the new place this past weekend. Though an actual house is still a dream for some day, an apartment remains the reality right now. And that's ok. I am truly blessed to be here.

Ironically, my new job is about housing too. Actually, senior living continuum care. Yes, that’s right – housing for seniors. The majority of our residents are in independent housing, yet when they can no longer live entirely on their own, apartment-style assisted living at times becomes necessity.

One of my favorite residents came into my office today for a chat. As I saw him heading for my door, I asked him, “Hi Bob. Are you coming to chat with me?” He replied, “Well, I suppose so. But I don’t know what we will chat about.” Adorable. There need not have been any worries there. We could have talked for hours. He is 94 years old and absolutely fascinating. Today he was sharing with me about the different places he had lived in his life, and this reality struck me:

House days cannot be an end all.
Because, they’re not lasting. At all.

As I have looked forward to my house days, these folks…are past their "house days." And…back in an apartment. It was a bit disconcerting to me, honestly. One of those "WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE???" moments.

But then...I remembered. House Days are yet before us. And enjoying houses is not a bad thing at all. 

“In my Father’s house are many rooms...” (Jn. 14:2a)

I’d like to see the floor plan of this one!!

“…if it were not so would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.” (Jn. 14:2b-3)

House days are indeed in front of us.

And you know what? It won’t be a pack-your-boxes-every-6-months-kind-of-thing. Because it will be forever. And forever is a long time.

“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” (Ps. 23:6)


Yes. Forever is a long time. 

So wherever you may live - enjoy it! It is a blessing! But also remember - it's not the end all. Nope - that's still coming.

~ a wolfie

1 comment: