Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Constant.

Maybe it's the time of year (aka, almost "School time"), maybe it's the seasons of life, maybe it's the heat, or maybe it's the way things ebb and flow, but I have been in a----mood----lately.
That it makes me want to be Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman should be no surprise to any of you.
The "mood" reminds me of being a kid, of getting my school books (I was home-schooled), of going to my brother's football games, of piano lessons starting again, of getting ready to preserve all the fruits and veggies our gardening neighbors would sell us, and it makes me want to read a novel about Amish (I always did that in the Fall) or watch episodes of Home Improvement.

Call it nostalgia.

Even though nostalgia is not something I am prone to.
I think that's what I am feeling.

In thinking over my life lately, it has just occurred to me (I realize what I am saying next is elementary), for the very first time, that I will never be younger again.
Like, I could never say, "You know, I think I liked 23 the best---let's just go back and live in that stage again."
It can't happen.

Who knew!?

Not me.
I mean. Consciously I knew it, obviously. But practically? No. Time just keeps going. Life just keeps going. I figured there was a pause button somewhere.

And I will tell you what; it makes me thankful for the constancy of God. One of his names that I love is Ancient of Days. It means he has seen everything. He remembers all; he will judge all. How comforting to know that wherever I have been, he has been there to.

Even now then, as I am aware that I can never go back again, I am more thankful that not only has he been everywhere I have been, but he will BE everywhere I will be.

Wow.
What a Hallelujah if there ever was one.

The other morning I was reading and came across Psalm 71:5 "For you have been my hope, O Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth."

I am blessed to have known the Lord from a young age, so this verse is true to me... He has been my confidence from my youth.
But not only that, he has been my comfort and confidant and companion. I have intimately known that I have never walked alone, I have never traveled by myself, I have never traversed without a Guide. He has been there. He has seen all my days.
What a beautiful thing.

We are never alone. He never leaves. He knows all of our days.
And he wants us to know HIM in all of those. If there is something keeping you away from Christ, pitch it. I promise you this, it's not worth it.
He is better. Let him be what you need.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And I wanted to tell you one more thing.


I said "Yes."

And that makes me so excited.


It makes me so excited because he loves Jesus and miracle of all miracle---he loves me (I am getting the better end of the deal, though, let me tell you), and we both love silly things like maps and old books and big words and talking about what we ate for lunch that day, as well as discussing why life without Jesus is pointless or how we want our life to positively affect people for the gospel.

And he prays with me and for me and over me. Because he knows that apart from Christ, we can do nothing (John 15:5) and that without Christ, we have no good thing (Psalm 16:2).

Truly can I say that the Lord has dealt bountifully with me (Psalm 116:7).

Love you, Wolfies.

2 comments: