Sunday, February 5, 2012

On dirty dishes. And photoshoots.

Do you know what, pretty much, my worst fear is?

That I will someday not have any dishes to wash.

I know, I know. I am just full of all these weird things nobody else feels. I don’t like to sleep, I don’t really like most desserts, I would prefer to live without dogs, I love cold winters, and now this: I never want the dishes to stop.

I mean look at that sudsy sink! What’s not to love!


“Bubbies,” as my two year old niece calls them, are something short of miraculous.


Most of our dishes tell stories, too.
Like this coffee cup from the Starbucks.
The Starbucks Support Center, that is. A.k.a Headquarters.

And this cup can only be procured there at Headquarters.
And I know somebody who works there, so I got to be there.
What a tremendous day.

Or this cup. From Hot Coffee, Mississippi.

While I have never been to Mississippi, it was given to my family by a dear friend of ours who lived there. An eccentric old man when we knew him. A chain smoker for some 65 odd years, he had drank nothing but Venezuelan espresso for the last 30 years, an avid collector of Cadillacs, he was very generous and died of something like a cold when he was well up into his 80’s and had given his life to the Lord only some 10 months prior to that. We met him through one of my brothers. He was something of a “grandfather” figure to my brother’s friend (as well as Brett Favre, we found out), and he invited my brother to Mississippi for a crawfish boil one weekend.
And that was it. From then on out he was Mr. Curtis to us.

So I love the stories our dishes tell.
Which is part one of a two part reason for why I would be sad if I never had any more dishes to do.
Part One: If I never had any more dishes to do, then I might forget the stories that they tell.
Part Two: If I never had any more dishes to do, then that would mean we wouldn’t have any food.

Which is the “worst fear” part. Famine sounds awful.
And I hate that a lot of people in the world live in it.

Therefore, from today, I will try to never complain again about dirty dishes because not only do some dirty dishes tell stories of God’s faithfulness, but they always tell a story of God’s provision.

~~~

My best friend is moving to Arizona next week.
I don’t live anywhere near Arizona.
Naturally, we had to see each other one more time before she turned her life upside down.
This move is such an answer to her prayers. *Finally.
I don’t know what else there is to do to commemorate these changing lives than a photoshoot, and since I couldn’t think of anything else, we did a photoshoot. Which is somehow the first I have done with her, which doesn’t make any sense because I seem to do them with everyone.
My theological reason for this is because I believe that adult women need to play dress-up more.
It keeps us from taking ourselves too seriously, and for once it reminds us what is was like to not feel the weight of the world, and then to not worry about that weight, and simply to trust that “my Father will take care of it.”

So here is to us letting Him take care of it.





No comments:

Post a Comment