Sunday, February 19, 2012

Wit is Brilliant.

Since this year’s New Year’s Resolution was to be brilliant, I have had to think long and hard about how exactly I was going to accomplish that.
But before I could figure out HOW to do it, I had to figure out exactly what I meant by the term “brilliant.”

Let me just start by saying that I still am a little unclear about what I mean by that phrase, which means that I am making excellent strides towards becoming it. Whatever it is.

Now that sounds brilliant.

Ok, simple kidding aside (I actually hate the thought of putting simple kidding aside….), one thing I have discovered about my character is that, to me, being brilliant has a lot to do with being witty. People who are witty are exceptional people in my eyes. They pretty much are the ones you always want around. For, even if they don’t scientifically or rationally know how to get you in or out of a desired or loathed situation, they at least make whatever the situation was into a fabulous time and will tell an even better story upon your return to the rest of civilization. Therefore, they are great to always have around.
And what could possibly be more brilliant than being wanted by everyone who is on their way into some kind of situation?!

All this to say, I am just now beginning to recognize the absolute BRILLIANCE of an author who goes by the name of P.G. Wodehouse.

Have you ever heard of the butler named Jeeves? Or Blanding’s Castle? Wooster? Is any of this making a dent?
Well, it should because Wodehouse created them, and if it doesn’t make a dent now, promise me it will by the time summer arrives!

I was given my first Wodehouse book by none other than the exceptionally brilliant Ella; the woman I rent from, for lack of a better description. Besides being adorable in all manner of speakings and fashions she has absolutely superb taste on just about EVERYTHING.
Literature is no exception.
I will just put it this way: If Ella finds it brilliant, it’s brilliant.
I doubt she would go so far as to say that Wodehouse is brilliant, but I do know she would say he is witty and I haven’t yet told her how I am connecting those two phrases. Maybe I can still make her say that he is brilliant.

Moving on.

I was given, by Ella, a Wodehouse book. And it makes me laugh out loud. At midnight. When nobody else is around and I am in an empty house. By myself. At midnight.
Am I conveying the wit?

I will not belabor the brilliance or the wit any further. Just go.
Go get a Wodehouse book.
And then post Wodehouse quotes on all of your friend’s Facebook walls.
Which is exactly what I have done every day this week.

Read Wodehouse. Be Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment